Temporary Food Booths

In order to operate a temporary food booth that is open to the public, a temporary food establishment permit must be obtained. Public events are those that are advertised to the public.

Temporary events may include:

  • County fairs
  • Farmers markets
  • Flea markets
  • Fundraisers
  • Rodeos
  • Sporting events

Vendors at unadvertised events, such as church dinners or events for members and their guests only, are not required to have temporary food establishment permits. Nonprofit organizations operating for religious, charitable, or educational purposes may hold bake sales with homemade goods (that do not require temperature control) without a permit. These items must be prepared and individually wrapped in a sanitary manner. There must be a visible sign stating that the foods are prepared in a home kitchen that is not inspected by a regulatory authority.

Late Submission

Submission for a temporary food establishment permit must be received at least 5 days prior to the event to avoid a late fee.

Mobile Food Units - Food Trucks and Concession Trailers

If you are planning on using a food truck or enclosed trailer, approval from Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) is likely required.  Previously, mobile food units that operated on a temporary basis were allowed an exemption by L&I.  L&I recently updated the regulations for mobile food units (WAC 296-150V).  Please visit the Labor and Industries Food Trucks and Trailers web page for additional information.

Permits Applications & Related Documents

See if you qualify for exemption from permit (PDF).