- Healthy Places
- Food Safety
- Food Worker Cards & Certified Managers
Food Worker Cards & Certified Managers
Food Worker Cards
All food workers within the state of Washington must have a valid food workers card. Obtain your food worker card online in three simple steps:
- Take the course online: Do it Right, Serve it Safe!
- Pass the test (Study material available, Food Worker Card Study Guide)
- Pay $10 (Credit/Debit card with VISA or MasterCard logo accepted)
The food worker course can also be taken at all Northeast Tri County Health District (NETCHD) offices. The course and exam could take between an hour and an hour and a half to complete.
Your new card is valid for 2 years. If you are renewing your card 60 days or less before it expires, it will be valid for 3 years.
Starting a new job in the food industry? Food worker card must be obtained within 14 days of hire.
Certified Food Manager's Training
The Washington State Retail Food Code will be updated in July 2022 to include the requirements for a Certified Food Manager per food establishment, with the exception of low risk establishments.
Examples of low risk establishments:
- Establishment has a 'Simple' permit issued through NETCHD
- Drive-through coffee stands with no or limited food preparation of pre-cooked foods
- Convenient stores without food preparation of pre-cooked foods
- Grocery stores with only pre-packaged foods and no deli
Certification can be obtained by taking the Certified Food Managers course from an ANSI accredited training program. Options for online training courses may include:
Course topics include but are not limited to:
- Preventing food borne illness
- Hygiene and sanitation
- HACCP (Hazardous analysis critical control points)
- Food establishment regulations
Certification is valid for 5 years.